The four players who made it to the Women’s final were the same as last year’s Nationals in Chicago: Hall of Famer Cindy Prendergast and Lauren Zink versus #2 seeds Liz Jaffe and Lisa Rudloff. The results was exactly the same: straight set win for Prendergast-Zink.
The defending champions came to Long Island as the #8 seeds but everyone knew they were one of the favorites team to take the title. Cindy and Lauren knew it and so their opponents. The score of the final match, a 6-1, 6-3 win, was simply a detail. They dominated from beginning to end.
Although Jaffe-Rudloff had the support of the crowd, Lisa and Liz are both from Long Island, they were not able to handle the pace of Lauren’s drives nor they could break Cindy and force her to make errors. After the match, Prendergast was still trying to recall if she made any errors during the match.
On their way to the final, the 2012 Champs only lost one set in the semis versus #1 seeds Cynthia Dardis and Amy Shay when they won 6-3, 5-7, 6-1. Previously, they defeated #9 Prop-Schneebeck 7-5, 6-4 in the round of 16s and #3 Flynn-Tarzian 6-2, 6-0 in the quarters.
Today was Cindy and Lauren’s seventh time in the final match of Nationals in the last eight years and their third win in the last five. Their stats are almost as impressive as their game this weekend.
Other finals include:
- Quarters Reprieve – Flynn-Tarzian def. Brzova-Stoklasova 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- 16s Reprieve – Birch-Krusos-Delmonico def. Delaney-Mangan 6-2, 6-4
- 32s Reprieve – Bodman-Jones def. Muller-Stevens 7-5, 6-3
- 64s Consolation Reprieve – Pijawka-Safford def. Kammerer-Stutz 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
- 64s Consolation – Kochis-Williamson def. Brown-Schneider 6-3, 6-1
- 128s Consolation Reprieve – Davis-Kagle def. O’Connor-Rogers 7-5, 6-1
- 128s Consolation – Allen-Lannon def. Beydoun-LaMountain 6-4, 6-3