What a weekend in Region 2! Saturday was the turn of the Connecticut Classic in West Hatford. The Eastern Singles in Greenwich was held over the weekend and was, yet again, another success. To top off the weekend, the Patterson Club Junior Open kicked off the Viking Junior Paddle Tour this past Sunday.
Scott Slobin put another great show in lower Fairfield County and hosted the first junior tournament of the season. Thirty two teams entered the event for boys and girls in 10, 12, 14, and 18 and under divisions. Austin Holmes and Reed Shultz (Runner-up team in 14 and Under boys at Nationals last January) were making their debut in the 18 and Under category. The New Canaan team did not disappointed and went home with the title.
In the Boys 12 and Under, former 10 and Under National Champions, James Bjorkman and Sam Slobin also came out victorious with their win over Jeff Riggio and Dylan Matthews in a close three sets match. Another former National Champion, Phoebe Wilks teamed up with Liza Swindell and beat Cami Adajian and Louisa Colas to win the 18 and Under Girls title.
The following are the results and scores from all divisions:
- 10 and Under Hannah Amendola – Libby Gardner defeated Katie Everitt – Abby Stravato 8-7
- 12 and Under Grace Manges – Camaren Dayton defeated Hannah Bjorkman – Katherine Luttmann 8-5
- 18 and Under Phoebe Wilks – Liza Swindell defeated Cami Adajian – Louisa Colas 6-2, 7-6
- 10 and Under Griffin Cramer -Jack Belcher defeated Austin Hochman – Will Richards 8-5
- 12 and Under James Bjorkman – Sam Slobin defeated Jeff Riggio – Dylan Matthews 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
- 14 and Under Harry Colville – Liam Breen defeated John Kaspers – Sam Winward 6-3, 7-5
- 18 and Under Austin Holmes – Reed Schultz defeated Garret Furnivall – Jack Furnivall 6-4, 6-2